Friday 22 March 2019
Artists notified of outcome by
Friday 12 April 2019
Selected works to be delivered to Art Gallery
Tuesday 21 May 2019
Exhibition opening and announcement of winner
Wednesday 29 May 2019, 6 pm
Friday 12 July 2019
Selected works to be collected from Art Gallery
Tuesday 16 July 2019
condition of entry
- This is an acquisitive award for free-standing sculptures. The sculpture cannot be hung from a wall or ceiling, and if supported by a stand then the height of the stand is to be included in the height of the sculpture. (This does not include a plinth, or other object that it may ultimately be displayed on)
- The sculpture must be no more than 70 cm in any dimension, this includes the height, width, depth and diagonal. The sculpture may include multiple parts but not extend outside of the dimension requirements.
- The sculpture must be not more than 30 kilograms in weight (including any stand required to support the work). The sculptures can be in any medium but must be free-standing.
- Finalists will be selected by the judging panel consisting of Leanne Willis Manager, Art Collection and Galleries, Deakin University, and two arts industry representatives.
- One outstanding entry will be awarded $10,000 by the judging panel. The award winning sculpture will become part of the Deakin University Art Collection.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence or conversation will be entered into regarding any decision made by the judging panel.
- Artists short listed for the prize will be invited to exhibit their entries from 29 May 2019 to 12 July 2019 at the Deakin University Art Gallery. The winner will be chosen from the finalists' exhibition and announced at the opening of the exhibition on Tuesday 29 May. The winner will be notified if not in attendance at the opening.
- Exhibited works cannot be for sale but if enquiries are made by members of the public they will be put in contact with the artist concerned or their nominated representative.
- Each artist may enter only once whether as an individual or joint entrant.
- Each entry may be accompanied by up to four digital images.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and made within a 12 month period prior to the date of entry.
- Finalists’ work must be delivered to the Deakin University Art Gallery on Tuesday 21 May 2019 between 10 am and 4 pm. Works will not be accepted at any other time unless by prior arrangement with the Art Collection and Galleries Unit.
- Sculptures will be weighed and measured on arrival at the gallery. Any works not meeting the size and weight requirements may be exhibited in the finalists' exhibition at the discretion of the exhibition organisers but will not be eligible for judging.
- Works need to be collected between 10 am and 4 pm on Tuesday 16 July 2019. Works cannot be removed at any other time unless by prior arrangement with the Art Collection and Galleries Unit. Works not collected will be disposed of at the University’s discretion.
- All entries selected for exhibition must be available for continuous display at the Gallery for the period of the exhibition. Artists and/or their representatives cannot remove an artwork from display prior to Friday 12 July 2019.
- Freight to and from Deakin University and transit insurance are the responsibility of the entrants. Deakin University will insure the works while they are on display to the value listed on the entry form. International entrants will be responsible for any import/export duties applicable.
- By completing the entry form and entering the work, the entrant warrants that the work is the sole and unencumbered property of the entrant and that there are no inhibitions or restrictions upon title passing to Deakin University in the event that the work is selected as the winner.
- Deakin University reserves the right to reproduce images of the exhibition finalists as individual and/or group images for archival, internal cataloguing, or advertising and promotion (both in print and electronic) of the Deakin University Contemporary Small Sculpture Award.
- Deakin University reserves the right to cancel or postpone the award and exhibition without explanation.
- Entries close Friday 22 March 2019.
- Employees of Deakin and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter this award.
- There is no entry fee to enter this award.
- Entries are only accepted via the online entry system. Hard copy or emailed entries will not be accepted.